Friday, November 12, 2010

Irfanview Free Photo Editing Programs

I have fiddled around with this program, Irfanview, a little bit, but not too much. Sometimes I just "don't get" something the first few times around. Being left handed and living in a right handed world, this is something I've gotten used to. I know it's a good editing program, because I've seen  positive info about in different forums and nothing negative.

I do know a jewelry maker who uses it and thinks it's great. So, I emailed my friend Margaret of Bohowirewrapped (isn't her jewelry gorgeous?) and asked about Irfanview. Below is a copy and paste of the questions I had for her regarding this program. If you have more questions about the program, the Irfanview link will take you to the answers.

1. When you edit a photo, does Irf. Save the original photo as well as the modified copy?




Irfanview asks you where to save it and allows you to rename the file as a copy or save as the original.



2. Can you batch edit with it?



Irfanview has a really easy to use batch edit/resize/resample function



3. Is it easy for you to navigate around in?



It's like having a photo album where you can just flip through the pictures. You can also open the thumbnails in a separate window for easy comparisons.



4. Are there plug-ins you need to install to use the basic functions?



There are plug ins available for fanicier work but for simple editing it's all in the main program



5. Can you make a banner with it?



It can be used for banners but I've found that I use at least 3 programs when I make banners:



Irfanview

Corel PhotoHouse

The Gimp



6. What are your favorite features?



There is very little to dislike about Irfanview.

Irfanview is the easiest program I've used for simple editing.
 
So thanks, Margaret for anwering those questions. You are a sweetheart.  I know the menus and things are laid out in an easy to find way, so I don't know what it is that's keeping me from getting the hang of this. I am bound and determined to be able to work with this program.
 
I've got a couple of more free photo editing programs to tell you about, but they are going to go on hold for a couple of weeks.
 
For a couple of years now, I've been wanting to blog about my Christmas decorations and ornaments. They are all handmade. I finally got into gear and decided this would be the year. I am in the process of photographing everything and getting blog posts written up about how I made them. Since our nest has been empty for a while, I stopped doing the whole house decorating thing a few years ago and just put up the tree. Getting these things out to photograph has been a wonderful trip down memory lane. Some of the stuff I made is over 20 years old. It's showing it's age a bit, but I've always liked a vintage look-especially when I look in the mirror. LOL!

No comments: